People say that time flies when you’re having fun and that’s honestly how i feel about the last two years. I really can’t believe that you are two years old. (Well, 2 years and 4 months actually, like usual mummy is late in writing this letter to you). I guess we’re officially in toddler territory now and i can no longer call you my baby, but deep down that is exactly what you will always be. My beautiful baby boy. Seriously though, how is it possible that i’ve had the honour of calling myself your mummy for two years already? It honestly feels like we only bought you home from hospital yesterday and yet somehow here we are…you are two.
I remember thinking when we found out that you were a boy – that because we already had your brother, that whatever I had already done with him or learned about being a mummy from him, that naturally, I would just apply to being your mummy as well. You have proved that theory so wrong in sooo many ways. It almost seems unfair of me to ever assume you would be just like Riley. Like I tried to steal your sweet little newborn identity or something.
From the day you were born you have been you. You are a sweet, caring, ornery, and busy boy who loves life. You are your own little person now and that little person is everything and more i could have hoped you would become. You are so independent, confident and feisty. You know exactly what you want and how to get it, boy do you have people wrapped around your finger with that boyish charm, infectious smile and twinkle in your eyes. You have the ability to melt everyone’s heart and put a smile on even the grumpiest person’s face. And you are still to this day the most cheekiest, mischievous and devilish little person i have ever come across but i wouldn’t change it for the world, it makes you who you are and i absolutely love that about you.
You’ve changed so much this year and are becoming more like a little big boy every single day. Your speech has come on tremendously lately and people often look at me with disbelief when i say you are only two because you could talk the hind legs off a donkey and are so advanced for your age. You love to sing and i mean LOVE. Whether it’s your favourite of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or a rendition of Frère Jacques, you just love to sing your heart out and i love hearing that beautiful little voice of yours.
Nothing stands in your way and you persevere so much with everything that you do, but your patience is short, along with your temper and we’ve had our fair share of mini meltdowns lately. I think it’s frustration more than anything and i’m putting it down to just being a case of the terrible twos because for the most part, you are the kindest, sweetest and most loving little boy. The way you throw your arms around me for a cuddle. The way you lay on my chest like you did when you were a baby. The way you say ‘i love you too’ when i tell you that i love you. The way you play with my hair when you’re sleepy. I savour these moments as i know they are rare and someday when you’re all grown up, these moments will stop and you won’t need me so much anymore.
You’re still the biggest mama’s boy. Your Daddy is the best toy you own but mummy is your best friend. It’s the relationship between you and Riley that’s really something special though. You love your brother to death, as he does you. You look up to him and want to do everything that he does but at times you’d rather torment him more than anything. You hide his toys and break his things and drive him a little crazy sometimes, but he’s always there for you regardless; he picks you up whenever you fall, he stands by your side to hold your hand, he offers words of encouragement when you’re uncertain about something and when things aren’t going well he tries his best to help you understand why. You’re a team, a duo and a couple of nuts from the crazy family tree. You’re my boys and i love you both unconditionally.
MILESTONES, DEVELOPMENTS AND FAVOURITES:
- You can count 1-20 and backwards from 10-1.
- You recognise numbers 1-10.
- You’re learning the alphabet song.
- You know all of your colours.
- You can recognise, name and point to most shapes – circle, square, rectangle, triangle, diamond, heart, star, oval.
- You can recognise, name and point to all parts of your body.
- You can recognise, name and point to the following animals – dog, cat, mouse, cow, pig, sheep, horse, bird, chicken, duck, monkey, lion, hippo, penguin, tiger, zebra, giraffe, elephant, frog, owl, butterfly, caterpillar, parrot, mouse, fish, whale, dolphin, flamingo, bear, ladybird, spider. You know what sounds they all make too.
- You know all the words to and can sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat, The Wheels On The Bus Go Round And Round, Frère Jacques, Round And Round The Garden, Peter Pointer, 12345 Once I Caught A Fish Alive, This Little Piggy, Happy Birthday.
- You love shape sorting, colour sorting, puzzles, dancing, role play and building towers.
- You still don’t go anywhere without your blanket and panda.
- You like to sit in the garden and look in the sky for aeroplanes.
- You know the different types of weather and can tell mummy whether it’s sunny, cloudy, raining, snowing, cold, warm or windy.
- You now go to preschool one morning a week with Riley. (more on this in another post)
- Favourite Food: Pasta
- Favourite TV Show: Hey Duggee
- Favourite Film: Home or Spongebob Squarepants
- Favourite Toy: Building Blocks
- Favourite Teddy: Panda
- Favourite Gadget: iPad
- Favourite Drink: Purple (Apple & Blackcurrant)
- Favourite Book: Zippo The Super Hippo or Shapes That Roll.
I marvel at you at some point everyday; either when you do something cute or funny or clever or cheeky, or just because you’re you and i feel so truly blessed that i get to raise you and love you and call you mine.
You warm my heart and light up my life Harry. Don’t ever stop being you. Here’s to another year of fun, laughter, exploring, happiness, learning and adventures.
Love From Mummy xxx