Riley // First Month At School

I’ve been meaning to write this post for the last fortnight, but with work commitments and other stuff, life’s been pretty hectic and I’ve only just got round to doing it. At the time of writing this, Riley’s actually been at school for almost eight weeks, so I’m running behind with these monthly updates already but hopefully I’ll be back on track and on time with the next one.

rileyschool

I think it’s safe to say that Riley absolutely loves school…like LOVES it. He has the nicest teacher and would go every single day if he could. To be honest I don’t think I expected anything less from him. I’ve known for months that he was “ready” to go to school, and that certainly seems to be the case as he is thriving. Every afternoon he comes rushing out of his classroom with a massive smile on his face, eager to tell me all about his day and the new things that he’s learnt.

School has really brought out the best in him. For a start, he’s much more mature and independent now, which makes me incredibly proud (naturally!) but it’s also a little bittersweet because my first baby is needing me less and less. He wakes up in the mornings now and gets himself dressed for school, he chooses what he wants for breakfast, brushes his own teeth and gets his coat and book bag ready. There’s very little I actually need to do for him now, other than to just be here as his mama.

His first two weeks at school were spent settling into the environment and the new school day and aside from a couple of occasions where he was getting lost around the school, he picked up the routines pretty quickly. He loved bringing a new book home in his book bag every night which was great because he loves to be read stories. We were also given some handwriting practice sheets after he went to school and asked his teacher for homework at the weekends. I kid you not.

So here’s a little overview of his first month at school:

• He has started phonics using the Jolly Phonics system
  • He has practised counting and writing numbers 1-10 (and beyond)
  • He has used a simple computer programme to draw faces
  • He went on a field trip to Roundoak Farm
  • He has been drawing and writing about his favourite farm animals
  • He has looked at animal information books
  • He has used a simple computer programme called 2Simple

To reinforce his learning at home i printed off some Farm Page Borders from Twinkl and we used these to draw pictures of his favourite farm animals and write their names. We’ve also been using a Number Formation 1-10 Activity Sheet for him to practise counting and writing numbers 1-10.

Twinkl

He really is doing so well and has settled into school life like a pro. I honestly could not be prouder of the little man he is becoming.

Share:

14 Comments

• 1 November, 2016 / 9:30 pm

I know…i think the fact he’s enjoying it so much is what’s making all the difference!xx

1. 1 November, 2016 / 10:46 am

So lovely to hear he’s enjoying it and really loving it! Sounds like he’s getting on really well, I think Amelia will be totally ready for it next year too. You must be super proud xx

• 1 November, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Thanks lovely – i’m honestly as proud as punch! xx

2. 1 November, 2016 / 10:55 am

Aw bless him. Sounds like he’s loving school life. Ayden is enjoying pre-school too and is always really proud to show me what he has made each day x
    Kate ✚ recently posted…Where did October go?My Profile

• 1 November, 2016 / 9:32 pm

Awww i’m glad to hear Ayden is getting on so well at preschool. It’s amazing seeing them so excited and proud of stuff isn’t it? I love it when Riley comes running out of school bursting with energy and eager to give me a full rundown of his day! xx

3. 1 November, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Such a sweet update. I am glad he is settling in so well 🙂 Jolly phonics is so good. We use it too 🙂

• 1 November, 2016 / 9:33 pm

I must admit, i was dubious when we first started using Jolly Phonics but the proof is in the pudding (as they say!) xx

4. 2 November, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Ah, so grown up. My son starts school next year and can’t believe how quickly it flies.

• 3 November, 2016 / 9:54 am

They warn you about “time” don’t they? But it really does pass in a flash. xx

5. 3 November, 2016 / 10:00 am

Ahh so lovely to hear how much he loves school! I so hope my daughter will be the same when she starts! xo

• 3 November, 2016 / 10:54 am

I honestly think the fact he’s enjoying it so much is making such a difference to his whole learning experience. I hope Harry follows suit when he starts next year! xx

6. 3 November, 2016 / 11:15 am

It’s lovely when they really thrive at school. It can be such a tricky time, it’s always such a relief and a blessing when it goes smoothly for them. And you can relax and just enjoy watching them learn and love their lives. Enjoy!
    Helen recently posted…Travel: How to Create a Love of Adventure in your KidsMy Profile

7. 6 November, 2016 / 8:24 am

You must be so proud of how well he’s doing! What an adorable little independent chap! Bless you, I can imagine it must be such a bittersweet feeling seeing them do so well but he’ll always need you as his mama 🙂 x
    This Mama Life recently posted…Weekend Tot Style #41My Profile