Riley // Second Month At School

Riley’s second month at school has gone really well and he has settled into “school life” swimmingly. He still loves every single aspect of it…even the homework and he still comes rushing out from class every day excited to tell me what he’s been up to and what new things he has learnt.

I’m told by his teacher that he plays nicely with all of the children in his class and has made some lovely new friends, aswell as continuing to have close friendships with the children that moved up with him from preschool. I wouldn’t expect anything less from him to be honest because he is a people-person and very sociable.

The focus this month has been on shapes and phonics. He was actually awarded “star pupil” one week for his enthusiasm with shape work and came home grinning from ear to ear and feeling so proud.

dsc_0464

His progress with phonics has been amazing too, it actually blows my mind how much information he is able to absorb and retain these days.

Here’s a little overview of his second month at school:

• He has made a picture using 2D shapes and talked about their properties
  • He went on a 2D and 3D shape hunt around the school
  • He made a snail out of conkers and clay
  • In computing, he played an animal farm game, matching and counting the animals.
  • He visited the school pond to see what lives there
  • He started a new topic ‘people who help us’
  • His teacher pretended that Burglar Bill had been in the role play area and he had to work out who it was
  • He has been looking at fingerprints and finding out that we are all different
  • In computing, he explored a hospital programme and had to be the doctor and look after patients
  • He learnt about the history of bonfire night and made firework pictures using chalk and paint

To reinforce his learning at home, we’ve been using this People Who Help Us Puzzle Game from Twinkl, which Riley has really enjoyed and it’s something fun that Harry can get involved with as well.

twinklpolicepuzzle2 twinklpolicepuzzle1 twinklpolicepuzzle

We’ve also been doing some police role play and had lots of fun making Police Officer Badges to wear.

twinklpoliceroleplaypolice twinklpolice

Share:

18 Comments

• 1 December, 2016 / 6:24 pm

I imagine that will be me with Harry next year – he is the polar opposite of Riley and has absolutely no interest in school at all! Whereas Riley just can’t seem to get enough of it! Yes he absolutely loves using the computers at school and is surprisingly good at it as well! xx

1. 1 December, 2016 / 10:01 pm

Wow, they did quite a lot this month and it all sounds great fun. Amy is currently doing a project on our county, going on a theatre trip, visiting a museum and going to the forest with a ranger to put up a Christmas tree for the forest animals. I sometimes feel she gets out more than me, haha x
    Carolin recently posted…With a subscription box for kids you give a gift that keeps givingMy Profile

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Ah going to put a Christmas tree up for the forest animals sounds wonderful! xx

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:35 pm

Haha SAME! They were considered a luxury in my days, now they’ve got at least one in each classroom! xx

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:32 pm

It’s so scary isn’t it? Harry starts next year and then i’ll have neither at home…i don’t know whether to jump for joy or cry haha! xx

2. 2 December, 2016 / 9:11 pm

It sounds like he is settling in very well. Pickle starts full time school after Christmas. I try and prise out of him what he has been doing, as he goes for mornings at the moment. Kaz x

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Oh that’s nice that they ease them in gently with mornings first….Ours have to start on full days straight away! I really thought Riley was going to struggle with it, but he seems to be fine actually! xx

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:26 pm

Thanks lovely, my two absolutely love role play so this activity went down really well with them both! xx

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:25 pm

You’ll be amazed at just how much information they can absorb and retain…Riley amazes me with some of the stuff he knows now that he didn’t at the beginning of term! They’re like sponges, aren’t they?! Hope your son gets on well when he starts next year! xx

3. 5 December, 2016 / 8:39 pm

I love how much you have found out about what he has got up to, my twins would either not stop talking about what they have done or I get nothing!! Glad he is settle in well
    Stephanie Moore recently posted…Our Christmas HomeMy Profile

• 13 December, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Oh he is not forthcoming with information at all…lol…the only reason i know so much is because his teacher sends home an update on a Friday of what they’ve been doing and learning that week! I just get grunts and moans out of Riley most days haha! xx