Travelling With Kids

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that when I dream about my perfect family holiday, it usually involves a tropical location abroad with white sandy beaches, clear blue waters and soaring temperatures.

The reality, however, is that the boys and I are yet to take a vacation anywhere abroad.

As a single parent, the thought of travelling across the globe with two little people in tow fills me with dread, but my hope is to take them somewhere next year when they’re both a little bit older and easier for me to manage on my own. After all, travelling with kids can be so exciting and rewarding and I want them to have the opportunity to explore as much of the world as possible. But, a holiday abroad with children takes planning and it can be overwhelming at times with the plethora of information available online and in brochures.

Thankfully, travel search engine KAYAK.co.uk has developed the handy fun-filled guide “Travelling With Kids” to help parents, like me, plan and manage a family holiday abroad better. It has been devised to provide local insight and features useful information on a variety of topics including airlines, airports, hotels and destinations. I must admit, I have found some of the guide’s contents to be a real eye opener.

For instance, I’ve always assumed that travellers would only have to pay a small fee, if any, to carry an infant on their lap during a flight, but the research conducted by KAYAK.co.uk actually found that in some cases, the cost can be up to four times that of an adult fare.

I also didn’t realise that not all airlines provide on board toys/activities or movies/games suitable for children. Clearly, some aren’t as parent-friendly as others, so I will definitely be bearing these things in mind when booking any future holidays and double-checking the policies of each airline before travelling with the boys.

Unsurprisingly, the top child-friendly destinations in the guide are Costa Brava, Mallorca and Orlando and having visited Florida and Majorca myself as a child, I would happily return to either location with Riley and Harry because there is always so much on offer for families. I was surprised however to see Iceland as a favourite European destination for families as it’s not somewhere i would have previously considered taking the boys on holiday.

There’s certainly lots to consider when travelling with kids, so if you’re looking for guidance or advice then I would highly recommend checking out the Travelling With Kids guide by KAYAK.co.uk for yourself. I guarantee it will result in less stress and anxiety, as more excitement and enjoyment for any future holiday plans.

Share:

16 Comments

1. 27 March, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I’ve not yet taken all my children travelling, not because I’m scared of travelling with 4 children, but simply because finances are not quite there at the mo. I used to spend all my money on travelling, and I will definitely be taking them away when I can afford to.

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:27 pm

I’m in that exact same situation, funds just won’t allow for a holiday just yet, although we are off to Wales for a week in August! xx

2. 27 March, 2017 / 5:50 pm

Their guide sounds so handy and who knew that some flight services where so kid friendly by providing toys and games? I hope you get to travel soon xx

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:26 pm

It definitely makes for interesting reading. Thank you, i’m hoping we’ll be ready to travel abroad in time for the summer holidays next year! xx

3. 27 March, 2017 / 6:14 pm

I an in full blown wow mode when you see parents travelling with kids, keep them entertained even when there is a strop and manage to not look harrassed x

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:24 pm

I am as well, i wouldn’t even dream of taking my two on a plane just yet because i wouldn’t be able to handle them both on my own, but it’s definitely something I hope they (and i) will be ready for next year xx

4. Lynne Harper
    27 March, 2017 / 6:45 pm

We have taken our kids to France and Holland by boat. We haven’t yet been brave enough to hop on a plane with them. It’s always great getting an idea on tips from others parents who have braved the plane or from companies willing to share top tips on doing it within budget, very insightful x

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I’m glad you found the information useful xx

5. 27 March, 2017 / 8:30 pm

I am from the US but live in the UK so have travelled with the kids back to see my family and I have to say, there’s such a big difference on how child friendly airlines can be. It’s really worth looking into before you book!

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Yes i had no idea how much it differed between airlines, it’s definitely something i’ll be bearing in mind when booking any future holidays. xx

6. 27 March, 2017 / 9:31 pm

This is really interesting – especially in reference to the baby seats on a plane!

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Yes, i was pretty shocked by some of the revelations i must say! xx

7. shelley morecroft
    28 March, 2017 / 4:23 pm

I don’t have children myself yet, but that sounds like such a useful guide. I do have two smaller siblings and my parents went on holiday with them last year and the airline had so many toys for them! It’s easier for the airline if the children are happy and it doesn’t exactly bother anyone having some paper and pens on the plane xx

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:17 pm

Exactly, it doesn’t take much to supply some toys and activities for kids on flights and makes such a difference for travelling families! xx

8. francesca
    29 March, 2017 / 9:50 am

I’ll have to give that a read!! I’ve traveled with one of my children before and it wasn’t straight forward at all!!

• 30 March, 2017 / 1:13 pm

I think that’s what terrifies me the most – thinks not going according to plan! I’m a total control freak! xx