Keeping Your Family Safe In Gas Safety Week #GSW17

We can see many dangers around our homes: water, stairs, electric cables, cleaning products, hot taps/radiators…and yes even LEGO, but there is one home danger we can’t see or even smell – Carbon Monoxide.

Carbon monoxide can kill you. In fact, CO poisoning kills about 50 people in their homes each year, with small children and the elderly being most at risk. And as you can’t see it, taste it or even smell it, it can kill quickly with no warning. That’s why it’s so important to be gas safe.

According to the Gas Safety Register, some 23 million homes in the UK and Channel Islands use gas for heating, hot water and cooking, yet we take it for granted that our boilers, cookers and gas fires are safe. Badly fitted and poorly service gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

gas safety week

The worst bit of all is that Carbon Monoxide is a silent, tasteless and odourless gas so you wouldn’t even know if you had a leak. It is very difficult to detect and being exposed to high concentration levels can be fatal or cause other severe problems such as brain damage.

Gas safety is important all year round, but it is not always a parent’s top priority, so as it’s Gas Safety Week (18th-24th September 2017) we’re partnering with the energy company SSE to share 5 simple tips to help you and your family stay safe at home.

1 // Do you know the six signs of CO poisoning?

2 // Get the number to call if you smell gas

3 // When did you last check your CO alarm?

4 // See how often your boiler should be serviced

5 // Never use a gas engineer who’s not on the list

SSE is one of the UK’s leading energy companies, supplying energy, broadband and boiler care to around 8 million customers throughout Great Britain and Ireland. 

Disclaimer: This post was written in collaboration with SSE to raise awareness of gas safety in Gas Safety Week 2017.

6 Comments

    • 20 September, 2017 / 10:30 am

      I am as well. We don’t actually have gas in our house as the heating/hot water runs on heating oil, but we do have a log burner that gets used all throughout the Autumn/Winter months so we still have a CO2 monitor anyway!xx

  1. 20 September, 2017 / 10:26 pm

    This is something you don’t really think about but it’s so important. I will definitely test our carbon monoxide sensor is working correctly after reading this x

    • 21 September, 2017 / 9:08 am

      Right?!? We don’t actually have gas in our house as the heating etc runs on heating oil but we do have a log burner that gets used through Autumn/Winter so we still have a CO2 monitor in the house anyway. You can never be too careful with little people around! xx

    • 21 September, 2017 / 9:10 am

      Thanks lovely, glad you found it helpful xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge